Monday, January 5, 2009

I Need More Sleep


I have this really annoying habit of not waking up when my alarm clock goes off. Okay, so it's probably because I never get enough sleep because of staying up late. But it seems like every morning I go through the same routine:
1. My alarm clock goes off, and I hit the snooze button in my sleep.
2. My second alarm (my phone on the opposite end of the room) goes off. If I choose not to ignore it (which is about 50% of the time), I get up, turn it off, and carry it back to my bed.
~note~ After laying on my side all night, all my body fluids have sunk due to the amazing power of gravity. I cannot get up unless I lay on my other side for about 10 minutes to even out my equilibrium and create symmetry again. I've tried, but I feel out of sync the rest of the day if I ignore this ritual. Therefore, I can't get up this time.
3. My first alarm goes off again. Yet the 9 minute intermission between the first and second alarm is not enough time, so I hit the snooze button again.
4. My phone alarm goes off again. This time, since it's now in bed with me, either the blankets have muffled the sound or my thumb inadvertantly turns it off without waiting for my brain to register that it's gone off.
5. Now there seems to be a 1 hour break in time. I'm not sure what happens here except that I'm no longer conscious of the real world. Whether I'm hitting the snooze button, or the alarm is just going, I don't know.
6. I usually have a dream at this point. Sometimes the alarm will sound in my dream, but never as an alarm. It typically manifests itself as a police siren, a truck backing up, or an annoying little brother. Other times, I don't hear the alarm in my dream, but there's lots of tension in in the air that you can feel. It's only at this point in the dream that I'm able to wake up and stay awake for the rest of the day.

When I get married, I'm either going to have to go to bed a lot earlier, or train my wife to smack me every morning to get me up.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Jon Jon Jon - you need to get one of those newfangled alarm clocks that jumps off wherever you have it and rolls around the ground - you have to chase it to turn it off - someone brought one over while I was at home and it was hilarious and would definitely wake you up. Although the equilibrium thing would mess you up a little, but you've always been a little "off" anyway, right? juuuust kidding:-)