Monday, January 19, 2009

Deep Clean


I have a negative opinion about New Year's resolutions. While goal setting and habit forming/breaking are wonderful and encouraged, I find it hypocritical that so many people (my former self included) sit down only once a year to reflect on their lives, and write up a list of goals that is typically forgotten after 1 or 2 months. For a few years I've tried to go through this process as often as I can without overbearing myself. It just so happens that the most recent goal of mine has fallen in January: I want to clear up as many things as possible on my "To Do" list so that I can be prepared for whatever life throws at me in the future. These last few days have really progressed me in this goal.

Just today I finished a deep clean in my bedroom. And for any of you who have seen my room, you know just how monumental a task that was. Not only did I reveal the carpet in my room, but I went through all the boxes in my closet to determine what gets thrown away and where everything else belongs. All my shelves, my dressers, my desk, and my closet are no longer covered in junk, but clear of all clutter. Woohoo!!!

The wedding on Friday was nice. It's nice to see those two finally married. I had somehow managed to find enough time during the week to play through my wedding music and determine which songs I could pull off without further practice. However, there was quite a bit of friction after the luncheon when the bride brought up an old disagreement and became accusingly venomous toward me. I'm still bitter that she continues to hold such an unjustified, vile perception of me, regardless of who I really am. As such, it had a negative impact in my piano playing during the reception. I did play one song that I had learned specifically for them. I like to think it shows them that I still care about them. But it's time to let them find their "married friends" and to move on. So even though that friendship didn't end on the highest note, I still think positively of them and am glad that the wedding is over.

My tap performance on Saturday went, well...depends on who you ask. I messed up several times and am embarrassed that all my practicing didn't pay off as much as I'd hoped. But to those who watched the performance, I apparently did well enough that they didn't notice the mistakes. Either way, it was nice to finally have a performance with this group (I've been practicing with them since March last year). I'll do better at the Rose Wagner Theatre (if there are still tickets available, you can get them here). I'll also see if someone took a video of it that I can post on my blog.

Lastly, it's nice to no longer have my Sacrament meeting piano solo hanging over my head. My mistakes were minimal and (mostly) easily covered up with the pedal, so it sounded wonderful.

I'm not done with my "deep clean" yet, but my To Do list is definitely shrinking, and I'm feeling a lot better because of it.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Hey, you have a blog! Fun. I'll start checking it. Good job on cleaning your room. If you think that's tough, wait until you have an entire house to de-junk. :) Glad your tap and piano stuff went well, too. I left those books I borrowed ages ago with Dad and Linda. Thanks for letting me borrow them and for not getting mad at me for keeping them so long. You're a great brother-in-law!

Larissa said...

Jon - I had no idea you were such a messy little pack rat. That's it - it's over - this is never going to work;-)