Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Temple Controversy Gets Limelight

I received an email today asking me to write to HBO and Time-Warner in protest to a controversial episode of Big Love to be aired this weekend. It will basically recreate the temple ceremony as accurately as possible. I was mollified a little when I read this statement by the church on the issue; now I don't plan on writing a letter. However, it still bothers me.

The controversial debates caused by this have raised several questions about what we do in the temple and why it's a big deal to broadcast it on TV. There isn't anything that would embarrass or compromise us. There's no skeleton in the closet we don't want out. I'm pretty sure anyone hoping to find something like that in the ceremony would be quite bored with it. Simply put, I feel like you've stripped me naked and are broadcasting my private parts on TV against my will. It's something church members feel is just as private--or more--as their bodies.

So if you are unfamiliar with our temple ceremonies, please don't watch Big Love.

No comments: