Wednesday, March 25, 2009

New Desk

So I moved to a new desk today at work. I didn't really want to, but I didn't feel like I had much choice in the matter. The island I previously sat at was where all the "talkers" worked--meaning, we're all quite social. Since the rest of the office is quiet people, anyone in the office could hear when we were talking. While he's never said anything to me, I think my boss was under the impression that my talking has led to lower productivity. I don't ever want my boss thinking that of me. So when he asked me to move, I felt like I needed to in order to prove that I don't have productivity issues.

The two big selling points of the new desk are that it's in a more private area and that my neighbors actually have the same type of accounts to work on (so they can answer any questions I have). However, there are some things I don't like about it. The new desk is right by my boss, so he can see whenever I stand up and talk to my new neighbors. Speaking of neighbors, my new neighbors are not likely to joke around with me like the old ones. I no longer face the windows, so I feel quite closed in. It's in the "quiet zone," and everyone around me can hear any conversation I have on the phone (I've tried talking quieter, but the person on the other end of the phone invariably asks if something is wrong because I'm talking so quietly).

I'm sure not all will be bad about this position. I'll get to make new friends in the office. It will please the boss, which is always a good thing. Besides, sooner or later another desk will open up and I'll be able to move again (there is really only one desk I wouldn't prefer to my new desk, and I'll never be asked to move there).

1 comment:

Chism said...

You need one of two things:

1) A plant, it is always listening

2) Candy: This will lure people to your desk, and make those that sit around you want to be your friend so they can have candy.

If that doesn't work I recommend wearing goth "Guy-liner!" Guaranteed conversation piece ;)