Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spanglish

I know very little Spanish. I took German in school, and don't expect to study any Latin-based languages any time soon. But, seeing as I've had 3 roommates at different points in my life that were native Mexicans who didn't really speak English, I've had to use Spanglish to communicate with them.

The first bit of Spanglish I made up was the useful phrase that I'm sure most of you have heard me say before: No nintendo. Those two words say everything I need to say. First, it sounds like "no intiendo," which means something to the effect of "I don't understand you." But by saying "no nintendo," I'm also telling the Spanish speaker, "I'm a gringo. I do very American things like play nintendo, and am hopeless at learning your language." And hopefully the Spanish speaker will also see that I have a sense of humor.

Last night, I performed at my stake "Taliente" show--at least, I'd been calling it the taliente show before last night (for those of you who can't figure out what I'm talking about, it's a cross between talent and caliente). Turns out that for the most part, the show was boring. There were a few acts with "taliente," but that was about it.

Anybody have any good words to share?

2 comments:

Larissa said...

Oh baby, don't dog on your act like that - I think you have real talent;-) I thought there was this little blonde girl in some of the in-between skits that was just to-die-for. My fav was actually the drummers! WOW! My favorite comment of the night was definitely overhearing another ward's Bishop asking another Bishop - "Is this a real talent?"

Shayla said...

I liked some of the talents......

you need to learn the phrase (don't mock my spelling):

tus labios son rios y tengo sed.