Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Country Swing


Last night I went to FHE which was advertised as dinner and dancing. It wasn't until I showed up that I learned it would be Country swing dancing. I have to say, I was pretty bummed to find out. Of all forms of swing, Country is my least favorite--and it's not just because I hate country music. Country swing is basic and bland in comparison to other forms of swing. The basic step only has two counts! Step, step. That's it. Give me a 6- or 8-count basic with some form. Country swing isn't nearly as fun to dance or watch, as say East Coast, West Coast, Jitterbug, Charleston, Jive, Triple swing, or Lindy Hop.

So why is Country the most popular form of swing? I submit that it's because it's the dance for people who can't dance. Don't expect to see me to put on a pair of boots and wranglers to go dancing.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

which is why I didn't show up until late! :-)

David said...

You still could've invited me. I miss dancing, even if it is country western. Besides, you can do a simplified east coast (side, side, rock step) which can incorporate several of the same moves.

Gotta admit though...swing dancing is so much better to Colin James and the Little Big Band, BBVD, the Count or the Duke, than Fishin' in the Dark, et al.