Monday, February 2, 2009

Contratulations or Condolences?

Why is it that people get excited for you when you receive a high-profile calling? Yesterday I was set apart as the new elder's quorum president, and for the rest of the day I was bombarded with congratulations and other comments such as "hey prez." I do have to say, my favorite comment of the day BY FAR was when someone said "When I first heard you were released from your other calling, I thought it was because you had worthiness issues. Then I went to Priesthood Meeting and found out it's because you're too worthy."

I've gotta be honest--I don't know how to react to all this attention. I just got released from my favorite calling of all time, only to be called to a calling I didn't want, that will likely be the cause of several stomache-aches and will take up an incredible amount of my personal time. I only accepted the calling because deep down I have received a testimony that it's right, even if I don't want it. Because of my mixed feelings, I really don't know how to react to all the attention I've been getting. Suggestions?

So again I ask, why is it that people are excited for me? I asked one girl and she said "I'm excited because you get to have all sorts of growing experiences through the trials your going to face." It's true, but I didn't buy it as a valid reason that she's excited. I've thought about it, and realize that I've been excited in the past when a new bishop has been called. But I can't explain the excitement, other than that it's fun to see who the new person called is. Any ideas?

4 comments:

j said...

Maybe it's just nice to have variety and to see how someone else addresses things. It's also an opportunity to get to know that person better or see them in a different role. Yeah, not the easiest thing to get a handle on.

As for the congratulations...I would say that people are congratulating you on being worthy enough and trustworthy enough to be chosen by the Lord for this calling. "Congratulations" maybe isn't the best thing to say. I'd recommend, "Let me know how I can help" or "I know you will be blessed to be able to survive and grow through this."

Just some thoughts. Congratulations! ;)

Larissa said...

Yeah - I think the "Congratulations" is a want to acknowledge the new situation, but lack of knowing what better word to use or way to acknowledge it. I agree with Jake on the "being trusted of the Lord" explanation as well.
Regardless, let's plot to take over the ward. I've got an in with both ex-prez's, the choir director, both new EQP's, the Activities co-chair, the new RSP was in an old ward of mine and she loves me, AND the RSP in my RS is persuadable, I have the feeling.

Chism said...

I think people think of it as a work promotion, and that you were dying to get the promotion... and you got it. Which is really wrong.


BTW the comment about the worthiness issues made me crack up! I know I have seen you smoking a few times, but didn't know it was that big of a deal...

LindaSo said...

If it's a guy congratulating you it means that he's thrilled the job isn't his.

Then there are those who just laugh (who me?)