Saturday, October 2, 2010

Summer European Tour: Switzerland

I know it's been 2 months since I went to Europe, but I'm finally getting around to uploading photos. The first part of our trip to Europe took us to Switzerland! Switzerland is popularly known for the Alps, cuckoo clocks, watches, knives, cheese, and of course chocolate! We landed in Zurich and spent half a day exploring the city. I climbed one of the towers of the Grossmunster Church, where Huldrych Zwingli preached, to get some pictures of the city:



After leaving Zurich, we went to Lucerne. Probably the biggest landmark in Lucerne is this water tower, that was once used as a prison:
But one of the biggest tourist attractions in Lucerne is Lake Lucerne. Check out these pictures I took on a ferry ride through the lake:

(Cliffs of Insanity?)
At the end of the ferry ride, we rode a cable car up to the top of the very steep Mt. Pilatus. The top 1000 feet were immersed in clouds, so I'm glad I got these pictures when I did:




Going down the other side of the mountain, we stopped to spend a little time at a fun tourist trap. They had a real Alpine slide in the real Alps. It was funner and cheaper than the one in Park City, and they dragged you and your toboggan up to the top when you were done:

Back down the mountain.
Exploring the city, we found a way to get up on top of the city wall, where there were more incredible pictures to be taken:




Our last stop in Switzerland was Rhine Falls, the largest waterfall in Europe (it's measured by gallons that go through it, which is why the waterfall isn't very high):

Yes, I made it out to the little island in the middle of the falls.
Switzerland was a great country, with wonderful food and great people. He's one of my favorites:

No comments: