Monday, November 29, 2010

Queasy at the Sight

Do you ever get queasy at the sight of blood? I'm talking about queasy to the point where you feel like you're either going to pass out or throw up - not just being grossed out by blood. I don't get grossed out by blood, but it has made me queasy on a few rare occasions in my lifetime. Up until this weekend, I only got queasy at the sight of real blood. I was watching a televised C-section once and had to lay on the ground to keep from passing out. There was once a reality show where they made multiple piercings in a contestant's arm that made me feel sick to my stomach. The only other times I remember being sick at the sight of blood are when I've donated blood and watched the needle stick into my arm.

As I said, this weekend was the first time I have ever been queasy at the sight of fake blood. And I'm not the only one. I watched the movie 127 Hours with some friends. I knew it was rated R, and I fully expected it to be because of the graphic nature of the main character cutting off his arm (with a potential for offensive language). Yes, there was offensive language. And yes, the arm scene is incredibly graphic. I'm not the only one who had an involuntary physical reaction to the sight of blood. Several theater patrons left the theater because they felt sick, including one of my friends. When the movie ended and we left the theater, we found out that the paramedics had been called (apparently someone did pass out). So if you're thinking of watching this movie, consider yourself warned. You may not make it to the end.

1 comment:

Natalie Weiler said...

Kevin stabbed his hand (on accident of course) with a pocket knife while driving his car, and forgot to clean up the mess for a week. We were going in his car on our way to a movie and I saw it. Now I've never been the type to get nauceous over blood, but for some reason the amount of it that had filled his cup holder and dried, made me so sick I almost passed out.Then of course I started to notice the smell more, and my head just let it get to me.