Monday, November 8, 2010

Best Horoscope Ever

I'm a big fan of horoscopes and fortune cookies. I don't put much stock into what they say, but I still enjoy reading them. I mean, there's something exciting about pretending - just for a moment - that the stars have aligned to dictate what's in store for you. Just for a moment, the central focus of the universe is you - and you can predict your future by simply reading the stars correctly.

As fun as that is, I am even more entertained by misfortune cookies, horrorscopes, and any horoscope that doesn't take astrology too seriously.

While I was hanging out with a friend this weekend, we picked up a City Weekly magazine. While we were flipping through it, we found the horoscopes. We're both Libras, so we enjoy reading our horoscopes together. City Weekly publishes horoscopes from a source that takes astrology seriously. So imagine my surprise, and utter amusement, when I read this:

LIBRA (Sept. 23-Oct. 22)
Check out this haiku by Mizuhara Shuoshi, translated from the Japanese by William J. Higginson: “stuck in a vase/ deep mountain magnolia/ blossoms open.” Does that remind you of anyone? It should. I think it pretty much sums up your current situation. More accurately, it captures the best possible scenario you can strive to achieve, given your circumstances. Yes, there are limitations you have to deal with right now: being in the vase. And yet there’s no reason you can’t bloom like a deep mountain magnolia.

This is by far the best horoscope I've ever had. We were laughing so hard my stomach hurt!

4 comments:

Larissa said...

I like this: "there's something exciting about pretending - just for a moment - that the stars have aligned to dictate what's in store for you. Just for a moment, the central focus of the universe is you - and you can predict your future by simply reading the stars correctly."
Well worded! And...I agree!

Unknown said...

amazing jon. I love it!

Chism said...

Horoscopes rock!

Rachelle said...

Lol. That's an awesome one. I got a fortune cookie once that said "everyone knows that you're the best." Beau and I joke about it all the time. They can sure be fun sometimes!