Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dear Autumn


Dear Autumn,

On your first official day here I'd just like to say, welcome back! I've missed you for a long time now. I know your visits are brief--sometimes as short as only a few weeks. Perhaps you don't feel welcome in Utah? I admit, there are a lot of people who wish that Summer would linger a little longer. And I'm sure that Utah's reputation of having the "greatest snow on earth" makes you feel as if people are only enduring your stay in anticipation of an early arrival from Winter. But I, for one, am a true fan of yours.

Now that you're here, let me tell you of some of the things I hope we can do together. After all, I plan to make the most of every minute we have together.
  • I used to always love when school was starting, and I have a suspicion that it had to do with your arrival. Remember how I used to try doing my homework outside under the trees? Haha! The homework was so boring it would often put me to sleep. But you always had a bed of leaves for me to nap in. I think this year I need to read a good book under a tree again, for old times' sake.
  • Speaking of leaves, before it gets too cold we should go on a hike. I've been getting better at my photography. We'll do a photo shoot up in the mountains. But you're so photogenic, I can't imagine one picture not turning out perfect.
  • I promise we'll do another murder mystery this year. They're loads of fun! I know I could do them in other times of the year, but they're funnest with you around. Maybe that's because of all the spooks of
  • Halloween! This has to be the best time of the year (better than Christmas). I plan to spend all October enjoying this holiday. Remember when I was 10 and Grant Gordon and I would read each other scary stories? I think that might be part of the reason I love all the ghosts, goblins, witches, mummies, vampires, werewolves, zombies, skeletons, and other spooks of Halloween. It's time for haunted houses and scary movies! And who can deny the joy of dressing up in obscure, eccentric, scary, or funny costumes, parading through the school (0r the office), and going to fun parties?
  • I'll go to a corn maze this year, and try to get lost. It's always funner when you're legitimately lost. Besides, I'm in no rush to go back inside and get out of the perfectly chilled air, that smells of harvest.
  • You bring the best food. I love your tomatoes, zucchini, herbs, pumpkins, apples, and of course sweet potatoes. You always give us plenty of excuses to eat delicious soups and chili. There are tons of good recipes to enjoy while you're around.
There are plenty of other reasons I hope you'll stick around this year. I love your visits, and hate it when you leave early. I hope this year you'll stay for Thanksgiving. You're a much better guest than Winter (who's always cold and impersonal). But either way, I'll make the most of the time I have with you.

Sincerely,
Jon


3 comments:

Chism said...

Some are summer, Others are fall. Autumn does have some very good things goin' on!

Anonymous said...

How poetic!

Nicki said...

I think that fall should be the longest of the seasons. It is quite wonderful.