Friday, May 8, 2009

The Party Never Ends

Have you noticed that people like to have a reason to celebrate? I think I'm reminded of it every time Mother's Day comes around. It was a holiday created by retail stores to sell more merchandise. I don't disagree with the holiday; I think all caring mothers (as if any aren't caring) deserve special recognition. I think it's funny that we are willing to make up a holiday just because we want to celebrate.

A better example is the fact that I've been celebrating variations of Cinco de Mayo for almost a week. It all started on Sunday when my mom served enchiladas and said we could call it our Tress de Mayo celebration. Family Home Evening on Monday was a Cuatro de Mayo celebration in which we ate nachos and learned to salsa dance. Then of course there was an official Cinco de Mayo day on the 5th (when it should be). Wednesday night I went to a party that was also Mexican themed--hence, Seis de Mayo. Finally, yesterday at work our office had a Siete de Mayo taco potluck for lunch. I find it ironic that I celebrated the holiday for 5 days, when it's not even a big deal in Mexico.

Some people have actually decided every day should be a holiday. You can find all sorts of calendars on the web, such as this one, letting you know what fun holiday it is today. So if you're ever looking for a theme for your next party, don't forget that someone has made up a holiday for whatever day you're throwing your party.

No comments: