Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lousy Thanksgiving Ingrates Did It Again


That's it! I've had enough! Don't expect me to be holly OR jolly this Christmas. Too many people have started Christmas
WAY too early this year, and they've driven me mad!

Imagine a bunch of kids taking a class picture. When the snapshot is taken, Christmas is the disrespectful kid who is pushing over the kids to his right and left and hogging all of the attention. Thanksgiving is so timid by nature that you barely even see her behind Christmas's arm. New Years has his back to Christmas, but has still been knocked over a little bit. He'd be knocked over if he didn't have his resolutions crutch to lean on. This year Christmas smashed Halloween's jack-o-lantern--before October was over! And for me, Christmas even cast his shadow over September (no joke).

I know some of you are thinking "why do you go to rehearsals for 2 months for a Christmas show?" The funny thing is, those rehearsals don't bother me at all. My mind can distinguish the difference between a needed rehearsal and a blatant attempt to make Christmas last half a year long. I'm talking about people who set up their Christmas lights in October--and insist on turning them on every night. I'm talking about people who constantly talk about the upcoming Christmas, and plan their Christmas gifts months in advance. I'm talking about stores that gear up for Christmas WAY too early. And most especially, I'm talking about those people who sing or play Christmas songs unabashedly out of season.

To those who are guilty of any of these things, you claim it's because Christmas is the Season of Giving, which always brings out the best in people. If it truly was about giving, you would understand that it doesn't need to be Christmas in order to give and serve others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of Thanksgiving based on the pilgrims and indians breaking race barriers, coming together, and sharing with each other? No, you're not excited about the Season of Giving. You're excited about the season of Santa: the Season of Getting. I'll be fair and show you the same appreciation toward Christmas that you've shown toward my favorite season. Looks like you've made a scrooge out of me this year. Maybe next December I'll have avoided all of you so that I can enjoy Christmas (I doubt it). But until then, Bah Humbug!!!

3 comments:

David said...

I'll admit to being one of those people who breaks out the Christmas music on November 1. There are several reasons for this. The first, is that I am Canadian. Our Thanksgiving is in October (when the actual feast happened between the pilgrims (of whom I am descended) and the Native Americans). Also, in Canada, lights went up in October (but not on until after Hallowe'en) becuase if you didn't it was too cold to put them up. Although I agree that some people go to the extreme, two months of celebrating the Saviour's birth is not too much for me.
I celebrate both American and Canadian Thanksgiving, so I get to be thankful twice.

Julie said...

Sorry for playing a Christmas hymn on your piano in your presence.

Rachelle said...

Is this a bad time to ask you what you want for Christmas? :)